Thursday, December 5, 2019

Lawn Dart Rocketry SLAT/S Build, Finished




I did add two more chrome stripes around the body. With only two decals on each side it needed more. I probably could have gave the Stars and Bars decal some white underneath it.

The Seattle Rocket Works kit had 1/16" thick balsa vanes at the front end of the intake. I left them off, they'd be very hard to smooth out once glued inside the tube.

I tried to give the back end some more interest. The original kit had everything flush (even) with the back end. On this build, the engine mount extends beyond the end of the main air frame tube and has the chrome trim. The fin fairings are a little forward and the end of the intake is even farther up.

The fins seem small, I did add .25 oz of clay to insure stability.
This will get a first flight on Saturday, December 7 at the monthly Orlando R.O.C.K. launch.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice, Chris. I like the picture showing the view from the rear and how everything lines up perfectly.

    ReplyDelete