Sunday, December 29, 2019

Centuri Argus #KB-9, Build, Part 7, Prime and Paint Tubes and Balsa

Well, the blog posts are out of order - again! Yesterday got #8 when it should have been this one.

I had sanded to deep into the CWF filler and had to do more filling.
TIP: With the CWF filler you don't want to sand down too far, leave a very thin skin of the beige filler. If you see the pink balsa peeking through, you've sanded to far.

Here I'm using my sanding block to evenly sand the flat side of the adapter.







The paint on the body tubes was fine, I only had to re-paint the adapters.
The shoulders were taped together. I rolled some paper around the bottom for a handle to keep my hand out of the paint.
I didn't want any paint under the plastic fin can, the fit was tight enough already. The fin unit will slide on from the bottom. If you slid it down from the top (recommended in the instructions) you could scrape off paint down the length of the tube.

The fin unit was placed next to the body tube and marked to mask off the low end. Don't forget, that open area at the angled top of the  molded in launch lug will need paint coverage too. I masked below the open "U".

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chris!:

    GREAT tip on the CWF. I had done that with my aborted Astro-1 and the fins looked great! But on my Stellar Spartan, I got sanding crazy and had to keep refilling, and I still have some grain showing!! So next time I won't keep trying to sand all the CWF off!

    Sincerely,
    J.W.

    ReplyDelete