Friday, December 6, 2019

Semroc V2 Build, Part 1, Parts


The Semroc V2 is a clone of the old BT-55 Based Estes V2 kit. It looks like the Semroc V2 kit has been discontinued. ASP now offers a BT-55 V2 kit along with 13mm and 24mm engine kits.

I first saw the Estes V2 in a "temporary" Estes catalog around 1969.
TRIVIA: Estes had run out of their standard sized catalogs and produced something to get them through a very busy sales period. The catalog was made up of black and white prints, four reduced kit descriptions per page.

I was immediately attracted to the V2 and ordered the kit a short time later. I noticed how much stronger the BT-55 tube was compared to other BT-20 models I had seen up close.

This version was from the Semroc X-Series. A full color face card and parts list is included in the Semroc kit. The instructions are to be downloaded from online sources like Jim Z's. To see the Estes V2 instructions, CLICK HERE

I had started this kit and for some reason set it aside. The engine mount is glued in the tail cone with a Kevlar leader. The smaller "scale" fins were cut out and shaped. The washer weight and screw eye are glued into the nose cone. The parachute is missing. We'll take it farther forward from here -

1 comment:

  1. Randy Boadway said at the 2016 NARCON that the Semroc X-kits would not be reissued. I'd started a V-2 before that and done a bad job of it, and was hoping to be able to buy a new one. Next day I went to eRockets and they had the ASP version so I bought that and eventually built it... flew the first time in July. Good kit, I was pleased with it.

    ReplyDelete