Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Semroc V2 Build, Part 10, Picking The Paint Pattern



The model got a few coats of gloss white, sanding any rough spots between coats. The tail cone assembly isn't glued on yet. Having it separate should make the masking a bit easier.




Now to pick a paint pattern - 
There were many different variants from camouflage to the black and white White Sands patterns.
In the Peter Alway book, Scale Bash I found this one named "Blossum". It's different than most, two opposite fins remain white on both sides. A roll pattern with horizontal stripes is on the other two fins.

I didn't read the descriptive copy until I was done painting the black. "The V2 was lengthened by one diameter in the series of eight flights."
Lengthened by one diameter? I'll have to find some scrap BT-55 in the parts drawer.

I didn't take any pictures of the masking - this was not a fun mask.
I used my regular Scotch tape, masking tape over that and a grocery bag for the large areas.
The picture shows the paint lines after touch-ups. The fins bottoms are flat, there is some distortion in the picture.

I used the ACE Hardware Store Premium enamel for the black. This paint dries very quickly so the masking tape has to be pulled almost right after spraying!

2 comments:

  1. Project Blossom was the US Air Force’s efforts to use the V-2 as a research rocket. The “Albert” rhesus monkeys were sent up to study the effects of acceleration and lower gravity on living things, along with mice and, of all things, fruit flies! The longer nose section was added to make room for recovery parachutes - which never quite worked out, none of the Alberts survived recovery though they did gather in-flight telemetry data. The fruit flies survived as well as one of the mice. When I finally get around to building my Estes #3228 kit I’m planning on extending it just like you did and using a Project Blossom paint scheme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Openroad,
      Thanks for the information. I'll have to do some searches. I guess I made an interesting choice!

      Delete