Friday, December 27, 2019

Centuri Argus #KB-9, Build, Part 6, Prepping The Fin Can


The old Centuri instructions tell you to "Prepare the fin unit before sliding it down over the lower body tube." You are directed to use the "enclosed sandpaper" to smooth the inside edge of the fin unit.
I don't remember ever seeing sandpaper included in a Centuri kit. The New Way square tube kits include sandpaper.
There can be some rough molding flash on the inside lip of the fin can. This could scratch the tube if left on the inside.



Run your finger around the inside lip and you'll feel some slight molding "ribs". I used some 400 grit wrapped around an engine casing to smooth them.

The front end of the can wasn't even. The 220 grit block flattened it out. I followed with 400 grit.




The top of the molded in launch lug was cleaned up with a diamond needle file.

The Centuri instructions say to slide the fin can down from the top - all the way down to the bottom.

TIP: With a little wiggling, I was able to slide it on from the bottom up. This is a good thing, I'm going to paint the body tube gloss white. The fin can fit is tight and could scratch the paint if slid down from the top.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Chris!: Looking GOOD! Now have a fin can so's to build one too. Are you going with the twin parachutes as shown in the directions, or are you going with a single chute?

    Sincerely,
    J.W.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JHall,
      I did two parachutes, a 15" on the main body, a 12" on the upper section. I went with two chutes because the upper body is so long it could swing and hit the lower half. This way it is closer to the original kit. I'll might change my mind after the first few launches.

      Delete