Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Centuri Argus #KB-9, Build, Part 10, A Variation & A Fix

I understand different kit runs had different color fin cans.
Spray painting plastic fin cans can be a problem. Because I was making two models, I decided to leave one in the Eliminator yellow and paint the second in red as shown in the catalog.
The fin can was washed to remove any mold release.

The upper end was masked on the inside.
I didn't have any extra ST-13 tubing  so two wraps of masking tape was set on a masking wand dowel with the sticky side out. This was pressed on the inside of the fin can, used as a handle for spraying.
 
I knew this fin can wouldn't take the paint evenly.
On the left is the second coat after drying. The gloss is uneven.

I don't like using acrylic clear coats, if your painting technique is good you shouldn't need a clear coat. Besides that, clear coats get sticky in humid weather.
I gave in this time and used the Krylon clear gloss acrylic. On the right is the even gloss coat.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chris!: MAN I like the looks of that red fin can! Might have to paint mine, too. Thanks for the parachute info!

    Sincerely,
    J.W.

    ReplyDelete