Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Freedom 7 Build Part 5 Capsule

Before gluing on the antenna fairing, I wanted to smooth out the top of the balsa capsule. This balsa was rough.

I applied a light coat of Carpenter's Wood Filler being careful not to get any on the printed recovery compartment wrap.


Here's the smooth top after sanding and coloring over with a Sharpie pen.

All I was trying to do was fill in some of the pits in the end grain balsa. In the picture, it's a little too smooth for good adhesion. Before gluing anything on top, I'll roughen the surface. Even by roughing it up now, it'll still look better than what the bare balsa did before.

1 comment:

  1. Instead of wood filler I used a tiny amount of JB Weld which had the advantage of being just the right color and serves as an adhesive for the antenna fairing.
    -Lorenzo

    ReplyDelete