Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Wolverine Downscale "How To" Part 2

I realize some of this information is known to experienced modelers.
It's repeated here for the benefit of a younger builder or anyone curious about the process of downscaling.


If you are new to the hobby, you might find yourself spending too much time at JimZ's plan site.
You'll find it HERE

The Wolverine instructions are there - click on the Estes logo and scroll down to the Wolverine, plan #0816.
The fin plans are included, but I couldn't get them to print at the correct size. They were way too large! Some plans have a 1" square for reference, this drawing didn't.
A quick post on TRF got me the fin dimensions for my size reference.
Thanks to John Brohm for measuring the fins right through the kit bag!

I wanted to downscale the model from it's original BT-50 to a BT-5 main frame.
Normally you'd divide .543" (BT-5 downscale diameter) by .976 (BT-50 original diameter) to get a downscale factor of .56.

TIP: Using the Scale Factor Charts found HERE
I reafirmed my factor to be .56.
All the original measurements would be multiplied by .56 to get the smaller model dimensions.
Thanks to Jay Goemmer for putting together these valuable charts!

No comments:

Post a Comment