Thursday, September 16, 2010

Model Profile - The POINT!


Build it, watch it fly - and wonder why?

That was the phrase Centuri used in their catalogs to describe the POINT! The catalog page is HERE

The Point is a personal favorite with a little history. I bought a mine through mail order in the early 1970s.
It was built and readied for launch with a Estes B4-2 engine on an Estes Tilt-A-Pad launcher.

When I pressed the button there was smoke, but the Point didn't go anywhere. It caught fire! All that was left was the upper body and nose cone.
I sent the charred remains off to Centuri. They sent back a new kit and engine.

I thought it was the Krushnic Effect.
As I learned later, it was the Bernoulli Lock explained HERE. This seemed to make sense.
I guess that's why Centuri always said: "Be sure to launch only with Centuri motors and launch equipment."


This is the reproduction Point kit from Semroc.

I have flown this one with success, following the launching instructions more closely. You should raise the Point a few inches above a flat, round blast deflector.

On the cone body, near one of the printed hatches, it says in small print: "NO HANDBALL PLAYING".
Anybody have an explanation?

3 comments:

  1. Chris,

    I think the "no handball" quote is a nod to the sign John Glenn stuck on the Mercury instrument panel for Alan Shepard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brian!
    Now that you mention it, I remember that scene in "The Right Stuff"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine also burned on the pad on her maiden voyage, way back in the eighties... Very cool and dramatic, but I was pretty sad. Gotta clone another...

    ReplyDelete