Friday, September 24, 2010

Semroc Little Joe II Build Part 13 Tower


In Step 8, two of the four 1/12" diameter dowels are sanded down to .058 diameter. The other two are sanded to a new diameter of .041.

On the laser cut card stock sheet there are "feeler gauges" to help you get to the final diameter. The gauges are shown below the ring in the first picture of Post 12.

For sanding, I held the dowel between my fingers as shown in picture. this allowed me to roll the dowel toward me between my thumb and middle finger. The index finger held the dowel down on the sanding block.


The instructions recommend sand away from you, then turn the dowel sightly and repeat.
I sanded toward myself, turning the dowel as it traveled over the sandpaper. The index finger provided pressure on the dowel as it was turned. Be careful, I got a blister on the side of my middle finger from the dowel rolling over one area over and over.

Just about when the dowel feels like it's ready to break, you should be very close to the diameter you need for the thinner .041 diameter dowels.

As you are sanding, you need to constantly check it in the feeler gauge. Set the dowel in the hole of the gauge, then try to slide it into the adjacent slot. If it doesn't fit in the slot, the diameter is still to big.

No comments:

Post a Comment