Thursday, September 30, 2010

Semroc Little Joe II Build Part 18 Tower


No doubt about it, the tower is a tough build!

The outside four sides weren't hard to glue up, but the inside V strut assembly took too much effort.
Earlier, the O ring (in the middle) was split and half was used on either side of the V struts.
I did my best to line it up, but there is still a rough edge facing out.
In the picture to the left, the upper V legs haven't been glued down yet. This is another reason not to glue the V tips together until now. The V (hinge) can be spread open for a better fit.



A raised glue bead was applied to the outside of the ring with a toothpick. I didn't really smooth the glue, it was left to dry and shrink covering any rough edges.

4 comments:

  1. I'm thinking about mailing you my towerparts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please NO!
    I built my first Estes Little Joe in the mid 1970s. 35 years later I'm doing another. I don't want to build any more of these towers for another 35 years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ve have vays of making you build our capsule...well, not really. I have decided not to sand my dowels. That requires way too much dexterity for me! And it's still gonna be a pain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a way-the-heck-too difficult build, unless you're the "inscribe the New Testament on a grain of rice" type.

    Big props to you for getting yours to look so nice. Mine, sadly, does not. Wishing I'd have used thick CA for gluing, but that's not nearly the only problem.

    With the sad departure of SEMROC from the marketplace, I won't get the chance to/have to try again, apparently.

    ReplyDelete