Monday, September 13, 2010

MPC Martian Patrol Part 7 Paint Plan


Take a look at the box cover art. I usually don't paint the model like the catalog pictures. But on some repros or clones I will, in tribute to the original.

This art shows from the top down:
The nose cone in silver, the upper body tube in red, lower body tube silver and the fin can red. I was not given the same decals as shown in the cover art.

I had to plan ahead on this one to fill and paint the lower body tube before gluing on the fin can. You could never fill the body tube seams once the fin can was in place.

There is another concern. After the lower tube is painted, how can you slide the fin can over the paint without scratching the silver paint?

There is raised ridges inside the upper and lower fin rings to give a tighter fit around the body tube. I went ahead and trimmed those ridges off the upper ring so there wouldn't be any binding and scratching of the silver paint when the fin can is slid on from the rear. Any low scratches from the lower ring won't be seen, they would be covered by the ring itself.

TIP:
Silver, aluminum, gold and chrome paints take longer to dry than other colors. They will also show fingerprints, mars and scratches easily.

Sometimes before I start a build I'll plan the painting order before anything is glued together.

No comments:

Post a Comment