Friday, September 26, 2014

Weight Of Filled Fins?

Here we go with another highly scientific test.
I read a comment about how much weight CWF filler adds to fins. I was curious.

The first picture shows a Estes Patriot fin. The leading edge is rounded and the sides sanded smooth with 400 grit.
The single fin weight is 0.05 oz.



After a brushed coat of (now dried) Carpenter's Wood Filler.
The same fin weighs 0.07 oz.
After sanding to surface (I do try to leave a very thin skin of CWF on the surface) that same fin weighs 0.06 oz.

The filler left in the grain pores adds a whopping 0.01 oz. of weight! One one-hundredth of an ounce.
I'm not a competition flyer. This little bit of weight won't make that much of a difference.

Sorry, I won't be doing the same test with sanding sealer. Sanding sealer stinks and is too expensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment