Wednesday, January 28, 2015

TLP Pershing #K046 Build, Part 22, Front Fin Plates

In this TLP kit the fin plates are 1/16" thick balsa bent and glued around the contour of the body tube. I wanted my plates thicker and flat, closer to the Estes Pershing plates.
I cut new fin plates pieces from 1/8" and 1/16" thick balsa. I don't have  scale data and couldn't any online. A search brought up few pictures so I guessed at the approximate shape.
The left of the picture shows the parts, the right side shows them glued up.
The bottom side strips will be part of the tube contour curve.





220 grit was wrapped around the BT-100 and the plates sanded to fit the curvature of the tube.
The left side of the picture shows the plate and fin from the rear, the right inset picture is the front view.

The front of the plate is sanded at an angle as shown.
Without real measurements I know this isn't scale, but it's closer than the flat plates would be.
This Pershing kit is more of a sport scale model anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment