Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Estes Quinstar #7241 Build, Part 1, Parts

This should be fun!
Here's another kit that shows what can be accomplished using laser cut balsa.
"Quin" is named for the five point star saucer. No nose cone on this one, it's much larger than the Blenders.
Blenders use 13mm engines, the Quinstar is made for 18mm engines, the B6-0 and C6-0. The C6-0 altitude is only 150 feet.
I just might convert it for 24mm engines. It should be strong enough, the 1/16" balsa is well supported with all the interlocking struts.

The face card is actually a picture of a finished model, not redrawn or smoothed out using photo editing. You can see balsa grain pores. The horizontal flat piece "M" has the hole for the launch lug. There is no lug in the face card picture.


Parts of interest: 
There are five laser cut sheets of 1/16" thick balsa.
A small sheet of silver decals.
A standard 20/50 engine mount with Mylar retaining ring.



The BT-50 tube was flattened a bit. Not creased, but flattened.
This was like some tubing found in the STM 012 kit. The kit bag isn't big enough and compresses down on the tubes.

9 comments:

  1. Well, that was quick. I'll wait to see how you do the motor mount before I do mine (definitely going with 24mm).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neil,
      It was very quick. I assembled and painted the Quinstar in three days! I'll spread out the build over the next two weeks. A few builders have already wrote about assembly mistakes making the center section "cage". Read and re-read all the copy in the instructions.

      Delete
    2. I'm one of them. I got it right at the last moment. :)

      Delete
  2. Hello, I stumbled across this blog and I am very interested in model rocketry. I would like to know how to add this blog to my reading list. I have two model rockets at home and seven in my lifetime(I started with the Alpha III). I was wondering what other rocketry companies other than Estes there are and and how I would sell a model rocket (It is the Big Betty). I would also like you to check out my blog I have for school (http://curentevent.blogspot.com/). I blog about Misc. stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kevin,
      I don't know how to ad my blog to your reading list. You can always just put in under "favorites" (hit the star on the upper right corner) and check back.
      Other rocketry companies include Dr. Zooch, Semroc, Quest, Red River Rocketry, Fliskits and New Way Rocketry - to start!
      You can sell your Big Betty on Ebay but don't expect to get much for it. Most of them sell for 10 or 12 dollars.
      Thanks for stopping by the blog!

      Delete
    2. There's also a really great rocketry company called Odd'l Rockets. They have some very creative, fun to build, and just odd rockets. They also have a few really neat accessories too.

      Delete
  3. Also, if you look at the right-hand side of the Blogger dashboard, there's a link labeled "Reading list." If you click the "Add" button and paste in the URL of any blog, you'll see new posts every time you log into Blogger. That way, you'll see new posts of all the blogs you like, and they don't have to be Blogger blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe I missed this build. Just noticed it in a recent post. I bought the model during a sale I think you mentioned. This just moved up in my build list. I think I'll do that blogger thing to catch more builds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Scott,
      I just launched this one yesterday with a C6. Great small field saucer.
      It does well with the 24mm D12. Just do some good fillets, there is some open slots where all the pieces slide together.

      Delete