Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Q2G2 Cluster Ignition Questions?

On TRF, "ActingLikeAKid" asked why the Estes Pro Series Igniters were called "Sonic".

Later in the thread, "Samb" posted a video link to the NARAM 56 Manufacturer's Forum. This was recorded a year and a half back.
Bill Stine talked about Q2G2 igniter availability. His explanation tells why they became scarce. I've seen this video before, but it has been a while.
To see the video, CLICK HERE , go to about 40 minutes in.


Mr. Stine talked a new "pyrogen" formulation. The igniters sold separately from the engines (as accesories) will have "A slightly slower response time."
Maybe this is what led to some cluster ignition problems mentioned in Daniel Petrie's blog post? CLICK HERE
I'm curious if others have had cluster ignition problems using a newer Q2G2 "pyrogen" tip.

From my end, this is speculation. All my Q2G2 igniters are older and still work fine in clusters.
I would be wary about using the clear tip Estes "Starters" in cluster ignitions.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Chris. Saw your comment on my blog.

    I'd seen this video a while back on TRF. I haven't noticed much of a problem, for the most part. Most of my cluster rockets have launched without a hitch.

    My last launch had some cluster problems, as you saw, but I'm pretty sure they were all my fault. I had lots of swaying of the launch pad, and I think I failed to get all the wires twisted together properly. The real bummer for me was my night launch vehicle, which wasn't much to look at in the light, but I was hopeful it would be spectacular in the darkness. It moved about an inch at most.

    Even if the new Q2G2's are slightly slower, they're still probably the best commercial low power igniters (or initiators - I still call them igniters) on the market. I try to buy a few every time I find them. Hopefully they'll be more readily available soon!

    But if you have any ignition problems from the slight delay in the new Q2G2's, I'd love to hear about it.

    ReplyDelete