Sunday, January 3, 2016

Orlando R.O.C.K. Monthly Launch, January 2, 2016

After record breaking heat, today was cool. The forecast called for some wind so I didn't prep for altitude.
The picture at the right was typical of the day. 53 flyers keep things busy.
After a few good flights with my SPUDNIK, today it had a squirrelly boost with an A10-3t.





Here's the Eric Truax carded SCAMP flown with a A8-3.
After most of my flights today I would hear; "More power!"
Parachute eject and no damage on recovery.




The Odd'l SPOOL is always a spectator favorite.
A C6-3 got it to around 200' with a fast spin/tumble recovery.



Alex Irizarry makes some very complex carded models.
His Saturn 1B is on the left, a lunar module is to the right.
The "Aquila" lunar module has a nose extension for stability.





My Quest X-15 was launched with a German made Quest B6-4.
A few asked about it's stability. I added 2" to the 35mm tube and a quarter ounce of clay in the nose cone.
Altitude was an estimated 275' with a close landing.

That close landing draped the rocket over a lawn chair by the cars.
No damage.







Last up was the Estes RED MAX with an Estes B6-4.
This was one of the first clones I made when I got back into rocketry in 2005.
It was refinished, new decals applied and a correct replacement nose cone. Originally it was painted orange. A Red Max painted orange? Well, the instructions did say: "Follow with a light coat of orange (or desired finish color). Don't believe me? Look it up!

Also flown was the original Odd'l Mini UP! CUP with an Estes A10-3t. 
Six up, six down with no damage. A good day.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the first picture Chris. The kids will be excited that their rockets can be seen on pads A1 and A2. I wish we had more time to talk. I wanted to thank you for the Scotch tape paint mask trick. If you are at NEFAR on Saturday, I will show you my results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Metalhead,
      I'll be at NEFAR! Roger said it's a short launch day, they'll finish up at 1:00 p.m. for their annual meeting.

      Delete