Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Estes Quinstar #7241 Build, Part 2, Balsa Prep

The instructions have you make the engine mount first.
I'm going to wait as there will be some changes to adapt it for both 18mm and 24mm flights.

I'm not going to fill all the balsa, that could make an already draggy model too heavy. I decided to fill just the flat surfaces you will see looking down from the top.


The balsa sheet is 1/16" thick. CWF was brushed on while the perimeter pieces were still attached to the sheet.
Notice the number "3" on the center of the large center piece. I only brushed filler onto one side of the sheet, the side with the numbers on them. These will end up being the top side of the horizontal pieces.

The instructions have you sand the pieces while still attached to the sheets.
TIP: Sand up and down, not side to side as shown in the instructions. If you sand side to side you'll hit the vertical slots. Look at the top picture, you can see they are lifting.


Here I'm sanding up and down with 400 grit.
Sand enough to smooth the balsa, you don't want to thin it any more than it is.

3 comments:

  1. Great idea to just fill the top horizontal surfaces, I think I'm gonna do that too (I may even do it after gluing them on, should be pretty easy then).

    Also, you're so right about sanding the sheets up/down... I caught on every one of those vertical slots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, except the pieces (upper left on the balsa sheet) that wedge between the arms... guess I better do those first. All the top pieces should be OK to CWF after assembly I think.

      Delete
    2. Hi Neil,
      I filled the horizontal pieces while still on the sheet out of convenience. I also thought held down with the small tabs there would be less chance of warping. It actually turned out very well. You see the horizontal surfaces first, you don't notice the slight grain on all the vertical side pieces as much.
      On all the side pieces (no CWF filler on those)there was just some light sanding between color coats. All the areas I could reach anyway!

      Delete