Thursday, January 21, 2016

Little Joe II Unboxing

On TRF, George Gassaway posted a link to the Little Joe II "un-boxing". James Duffy (RocketAero.com) opens the box and narrates. To see the video, CLICK HERE
At 11:20 the large water slide roll pattern decal is shown. This is a big decal wrap and might be  difficult to apply. Mr. Duffy remarks he will mask and paint the roll pattern instead of using the decal. Many builder's had trouble with the large Pro Series II Red Max decal wrap. Maybe this decal can be cut into smaller pieces and applied?
On TRF, even John Boren commented: "By far the hardest part of building this model is getting the large black decals in place on the main body. I might even mask the upper body tube off so I can paint these areas in Black since I simply HATE applying decals. 
The vertical UNITED STATES goes onto and into the corrugated wrap. Some Micro-Sol Setting Solution might be needed to get the decal to lay into the ridges.

JeffyJeep is already doing a build on YORF, CLICK HERE

4 comments:

  1. Am I the only guy who *likes* applying decals? Maybe I just love the fact that it means I am finished painting, and the end is in sight.

    To be fair, I haven't ever tried to apply a monstrous wrap, but I feel like it's doable (maybe cutting into pieces if necessary.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if instead of masking the area and painting the black rectangles over white paint, cutting out the black sections of the decal and putting them on the white painted section wouldn't be easier?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joe,
      I think that might be the way to go! There is still some round rivets or bolts on the decal bottom. Those would have to be wrapped, but as a thinner strip that'd be easier to apply.

      Delete
    2. Good, I'll watch you do it to see how well it works and then when I build mine I'll know what to avoid. Ha!

      Delete