Saturday, January 2, 2016

DIY Three Fin Marking Guide

I've made quite a few home made fin marking guides after some the kit supplied guides didn't fit. Four fin guides are easy, wrap and fold into quarters. Three fin guides are another story.
A email from Mark reminded me of a technique I used years ago in the print shop when I set up three fold brochures.

Hi Chris,
Attached please find a simple method of making a custom Three Fin Template in JPEG format. I created this diagram myself just minutes ago. It's pretty self explanatory.
This is a response to:
Not a folding method, but just as easy. Please share at the above page.

Best regards,
Mark (aka ScouterMark)

Here's the drawing Mark put together:
Wrap paper around the body tube and mark the overlap.
Slant a ruler so that a measure (here 9") is divided by three.
Mark in two different locations, once at the top and bottom.
Connect the lines.
Wrap and mark!


3 comments:

  1. I would normally just use one of the various marking guide generators (probably OpenRocket), but I have to say this is a clever solution. Would work for any number of fins. Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to give props to Roger and Payloadbay, but this would work nicely if one of the kids was on the computer when I needed a template.

    ReplyDelete