Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Is Quest Ill?

Is Quest ill?
That question was posted by Blackshire on YORF.

If you visit the Quest website (CLICK HERE) and click on most engine listings you get this message:

"This item is currently Out of Stock and will be available soon!"

Engines, Q2G2 igniters and launchers aren't in stock. Any starter set with the yellow launcher is also out of stock.

I had heard that Quest will be coming out with some new products. Yesterday I called Quest/Aerotech and asked to talk with Bill Stine. I knew Bill years back. I have built a few catalog models for Quest and was going to inquire if they needed someone to produce new kit instructions.

I talked with Jennifer. She told me that after a two year association, Bill Stine had left six months ago to return to Arizona, adding he wanted to be closer to his grandchild.
I asked about BP engine availability. She said they are searching out domestically produced BP engines.
I also inquired about new products and kits. Jennifer said there is a new kit in the works. I don't know if that is a Quest or Aerotech product.

Domestically produced BP engines? Who other than Estes can make engines in the US? Quest still has the old MPC engine making machines. (Estes did make Centuri branded engines for years.) 

EDIT: I was corrected by Bob Sanford - Quest had built their own engine making machines. I agree with Fred Schector, the early Quest engines did look a lot like the MPC style of engines.

Yesterday on YORF, Bob Jablonski added:
"Quest isn't going away. They are working on coming back. The issues with China bit them. Which is pushing them back to made in America. . . .
Yes Quest needs to work on there web site. Items listed as out of stock is available. and what not. But Micro maxx kits and motors are available. . . 
I can say this though. The new USA motors are at NAR going through certification."

Bob mentioned MicroMaxx "kits". There isn't any kits, except for the Boingo school rockets. MicroMaxx engines, igniters and parts are still available.


There is a interview coming up with Aerotech's Charlie Savoie on "The Rocketry Show". There should be some news (and not speculation) about Quest/Aerotech.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Chris, thanks for going "straight to the horse's mouth" and sharing the info with us. I remember making my first order from Quest in early 1992, right after they started up. Back then at least, they seemed to be aiming to fill the gap left by Centuri. Or at least I hoped they were.

    One question.....Bill S returned to AZ to live but is still involved in Quest/Aerotech? Or he left the company all together?

    You can bet I'll be tuning in to The Rocketry Show!

    Best regards always, ~Lawrence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lawrence,
      It sounds like Bill Stine is no longer involved with Quest/Aerotech. At least that's the feeling I got from my conversation with Jennifer.

      Delete
  2. The first part of our chat with Charles Savoie is up. The show was good enough - and long enough - to be a two-parter.

    I haven't heard what got into Part 1 yet, but I can tell you there's good news for both Quest and AT, and some potentially exciting stuff coming soon.

    http://www.therocketryshow.com/the-rocketry-show-s2-episode-7-paint-cans-and-rocket-motors/

    ReplyDelete