Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Estes Photon Probe #3026 Build, Part 11, Paint Choices


The older kit face card had the middle section painted pink. I do have pink spray paint but it's not a dark enough shade for me. I decided to go with orange like the Photon Disruptor.

Here's the paint mask Scotch tape being pulled. The line was very clean.









While the older Photon Probe was shown with a pink center, the newer reissue kit had purple.
This is the second build ready for decals.


The older kit decals are on the top. They included the additional decals shown on the right side.
While these weren't on the newer decal sheet the re-issue kit instruction picture still shows them.


What's this?
No more "Screw in the screw eye and remove. Squirt glue into the hole and re-insert the screw eye."
The new instructions have you simply screw it into the balsa shoulder. No glue!
I'd feel better knowing the screw eye was glued in.

6 comments:

  1. Not being fond of purple I painted my Photon Probe what appears to be the same orange - an improvement over the face card color in my opinion .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Openroad,
      I'm not a big fan of pink. The only pink I have is from my Pigasus kit and it is too light. I could buy another can of darker pink paint but I'd be stuck with another color I would never use.

      Delete
    2. Chris you could use it to build an Aerospace Club kit clone !

      Delete
    3. Hi Moontana,
      True! But masking that Viper is a real chore.

      Delete
  2. Estes, I make your rockets, because I made them as a kid, but - DECALS, Decals decals. You always seem to be messing up in the decal department. My MIRV, Estes Reflector, This one and more.

    You know in a lot of ways Decals can make the rocket... So (Estes) please stop screwing us with too few decals, because your lazy or cheep.

    Grumble grumble...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elsa,
      I AGREE! When I buy a kit I want the same decals that are shown in the catalog and face card picture.
      I haven't built the MIRV but I did read about the decals. They were much smaller than what was shown. The Reflector decals were short and only enough for one side of the fins.
      The worst was the Big Daddy. They imply a very detailed fin decal but only supply enough for two facing fins on only one side.
      My other gripe - Don't call "peel and stick" a decal! Peel and Stick is just a Sticker!

      Delete