Thursday, May 11, 2017

The Mysterious Estes Bomarc and Firefly Part 1

On his Blast From The Past blog (CLICK HERE), Edward Mitton did a post about the OOP Estes Firefly Parasite glider.
That got me to thinking about something I realized about the two kits.



The Estes Min Bomarc was introduced in 1972 and stayed in production until 1980.
This was part of the Mini-Brute line of "T" engine rockets.
To see the instructions at Jim Z's: CLICK HERE


The Estes Firefly was a parasite glider, available from 1976 until 1980. It rode of the side of one your rockets and glided back after ejection.
To check out the instructions: CLICK HERE

Do you notice any similarity between the two kits?

TRIVIA: The original (large) Citation Bomarc was a pop-pod boost glider. Estes later produced the Citation style Bomarc but dropped the pop pod and used a parachute. The Mini Bomarc had parachute recovery.

10 comments:

  1. The wing/fin sets do indeed look identical. I wonder if it's possible to build the mini Bomarc as a glider? Maybe rig as a motor eject with a streamer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous,
      I don't think the Mini Bomarc would make a good glider, it needs a wider wing area. I had the large Citation Bomarc and it did "glide", not well and very fast. The flight durations weren't as good as the Skydart which had a similar pop-pod ejection.

      Delete
  2. Good catch, Chris. There is a huge resemblance. Makes me want to build a Mini-Bomarc now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Edward,
      When I first saw the Firefly I knew I had seen that die-cut balsa sheet before. More to come in the next post. Your blog is great! I hope the link gave a bump in hits.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for posting the link. I am totally a fan of your blog. Visit it every day! I've learned a LOT of building techniques. You definitely do top-notch work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Chris,
    Thanks for the link to the Blast from the Past blog. Would not have known about it otherwise. I can relate to so many of the things that Edward posts about. Will be following both your blogs with great interest as a BAR going on two years now. Cheers and keep on rock(ateer)in'!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always liked the mini and full size Bomarc. Maybe somebody will release a kit of either one again someday. hint hint

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Moontana,
      Well, that probably won't be me! BMS had a Mini Bomarc clone kit but it was $24.00 retail. I don't know if it is still being produced. I've seen two launched and both went unstable.

      Delete
  6. Moontana,
    I can confirm that the mini Bomarc cloned from plans is unstable. Even with bbs added to the nose, it went up and u turned into the ground. But it makes a beautiful shelf queen. Same thing with the mini Mars Lander. If you don't mind stepping up to mid power, Mad Cow has two nice Bomarc kits, one 24mm and the other 29 mm powered. The smaller one goes for around $55. Very nice build.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bar,
      I know the Madcow smaller Bomarc very well - I drew up the instructions for it!

      Delete