Monday, November 9, 2020

Estes Asteroid Hunter #3224, Build, Part 10, Gluing & Setting The Skin




Before gluing, the sides should be sanded. 
I took a little off the edges for s slightly wider glue contact line.







A line of glue is set down the longest pieces (Ys, Zs and AAs). Glue is also applied to the O and P end pieces.

The glue lines will tend to bead up, smooth the glue out and remove excess. You want to have an even coat of glue all the way down the ribs.





Notice the two "teeth" of the fitted notch at the top. You can use these to visually set and center the folds in the skin.






I used my Sharpie pen burnisher to press the fold lines and side edges into the glue underneath. Don't flatten the folds, just set the card stock into the glue.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun build. Reminds me of tissue and balsa planes I use to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David,
      I thought the same thing. I built a few Guillow's style planes in my teen years. The designer, John Boren has a background in model airplanes.

      Delete