Monday, November 30, 2020

Launch! Schoolyard Soccer Field, Nov. 29, 2020

I know! I'll get back to the Estes Saturn 1B build tomorrow -

This morning was overcast and almost cool! Even though I couldn't see any blue sky, these schoolyard launches would still be below the cloud cover.

I usually start the morning with something easy to check the controller batteries and launch rod angle.
Today's first up was a favorite, the Estes CURVILINEAR with an A8-3.
Textbook launch to about 225'. The parachute should have been aired out before launch. It finally opened about 20 feet above the ground.



The Estes SAROS clone went unstable once with a C6-5 at a club launch. A lighter engine seems to be to be the way to go. Today stability was good with the A8-3 engine. 

Altitude was guessed at 225'. Full chute and no damage on recovery.







Here we go - 

First launch of the proposed Odd'l Rockets A-18 HORNET.
Start small with an A8-3 - Stable! Estimated altitude was 225'. No damage under 12" chute recovery.
Upcoming - more test flights with B6-4 and C6-5 engines.





My only Q-Jet launch of the morning - 
An original MPC NIKE PATRIOT with the Q-Jet B4-4.
WOW! This B engine seemed to perform more like a C. I would guess the altitude to be around 400'.
Recovery under the original MPC chute which looks to be closer to 15" diameter.








The Semroc Micro-Maxx MARS LANDER wasn't very stable at the last L.A.S.E.R. launch. 
Today things were much better! That MMX engine got it to about 50'. Streamer eject at apogee and no damage at pick up.

I don't usually launch C motors at the schoolyard - it just isn't a very big field. I can launch Cs in saucers or other draggy models like this - 
The smaller, later version of the Estes R2-D2, this morning with a C6-3. Estimated altitude was about 300'.
Packing the parachute around the central rear-eject engine mount is a pain. Ejection today made a very loud "pop". 




The engine mount ejected and got tied up in the parachute shroud lines.

When it was picked up I noticed a chunk of the clear plastic legs had broken off. I could probably patch this with a piece of a CD case. No other damage. 
Last up - 
One of my oldest models, the Estes RED MAX clone.
A B6-4 raised it to 325' with an old Centuri parachute bringing it safely home. 

A low wind was picking up throughout my half hour at the field. This was evident when I walked the field to pick up the wadding. I don't want the school to find charred pieces of scattered crepe paper everywhere.

Seven launches - all recovered with the only damage to the plastic clear fins on the R2-D2. A good start to the day.

3 comments:

  1. The new Hornet looks really good - looking forward to seeing that one in kit form. I’ve had mixed results with QJets - some of mine from the early release have crumbling nozzles - but boy, they sure do work well when the work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the launch reports!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I don't want the school to find charred pieces of scattered crepe paper everywhere."

    I'm the same way with my field.

    ReplyDelete