Saturday, November 28, 2020

My Rocket Buy Of The Year!

Once in a while - a deal comes along that seems too good to be true.
My friend Lonnie often scores older engines and re-hab rockets on Craig's List. I've kept an eye out for deals, but never seem to find anything close to Orlando.

On a whim I checked the Facebook Marketplace page and did a search for "Model Rockets."
Three Bulk Packs of B6-4 engines came up for $25.00 each. I contacted the seller and found he lives just a few miles from me. I arranged to meet Bob at his house. On the way over I stopped at the bank and withdrew $75.00 cash for the engines.

He asked if I launched rockets. In the back of my car I had a bunch of kits. I was dropping off an order to JonRocket later in the day. I showed him a few of the designs. He told me some of his model rocket history. 

In the past, Bob had a Model Rocket Birthday Party service. For each kid at the party there was a $10.00 charge. Everyone got an Alpha III and an engine to launch it with. He would carry a multi launcher and controller and oversee the launches. I thought it was a pretty good idea.

After we talked for a few minutes he went inside to get the engines. I asked how they were stored. He said: "Always inside the house." He knew about temperature cycling.
I opened my wallet and handed him the $75.00.
He stopped me and said: No, it's $25.00 for all three boxes."

Once in a while - you find a good deal from a nice person.
I thanked him and drove to drop off the Odd'l Rockets kits with a good story to tell!

A few years back I bought some older engines. We met up in the parking lot of a Cracker Barrel restaurant. If someone eating their breakfast looked out the window, they probably thought it was a drug deal.

6 comments:

  1. Man, great going, Chris.

    Reminds me of that ScoutStuff deal you clued us in on back in 2011....I still have waaaaay too many
    A8s and B6s from that. Recall giving you some of those some time back.


    AstronMike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike,
      Hard to believe that Scout Stuff deal was nine years ago. I've checked back a few times, now it's called ScoutShop. They have fairly good prices, but not clearance prices.

      Delete
  2. If i had a time machine,the only sure thing that I would do is go back to 2011 and throw another $80 at the ScoutStuff Estes Sale. I'm getting close, but they still keep pestering me for ID.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Overeasy,
      I think we cleared them out! I bought a few bulk packs.

      Delete
  3. My 2nd reincarnation as rocketeer (1990s)was predicated on a want ad that something like "rocket stuff, make offer". I got mostly engines in blue tubes worth well in excess of the $50 I paid. Most engines fired. All used up long ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jockeyo,
      My return to Model Rocketry was a box of engines on clearance at WalMart. 24 engine bulk pack for $12.00. Probably 15 years ago. I only bought one box, I should have picked up all three that were on sale.

      Delete