Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Estes Asteroid Hunter #3224, Build, Part 23, Decals & Trim Pieces

Large water slide decals are harder to work with. I'd recommend cutting the bigger decals into pieces for easier transfer. It might be a little more work, but it's safer when you don't have back-up decals.

I also cut down the long decals that go on the side "Q" pieces.


Lots of detail in the decals, plus they give you enough for both sides of the model!






TIPS: To be sure the "A" decals were on straight, I set the side of a taped single edge razor blade against the plastic side piece. This gave me a baseline for the decal.
The glossy dark gray side piece isn't glued on yet, just slipped on over the fin tab.


The gloss painted plastic trim pieces aren't glued on until after the dull coat.
I masked off the dark gray "box" on top of the nose cone to keep it glossy.


After the dull coat, 
The gloss trim pieces (wing tips and nozzles) were glued on using beacon Fabri-Tac glue.

There is a good contrast between the dull and glossy areas. I'll have to use this dull/shiny paint decor again.

2 comments:

  1. Those decals are neat, would be even better if they gave enough to cover the whole body. That would really give it a "realistic sci-fi" look.

    I never really dug the looks of this one, but I have to say it's a really interesting build, and I have to admire the engineering of it. John Boren is a wiz with the CAD software.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neil,
      Once the plastic "pipe" pieces are glued on the back, it visually balances out the open area in the back. I was a little surprised there are enough of the middle darker gray decals to do the top and the bottom.
      I agree, John Boren has done some amazing detail work with CAD and laser cut balsa.

      Delete