Saturday, November 28, 2020

Estes Saturn 1B, #7251 Build, Part 2, More Parts


For me, this part is the highlight of the kit.
I've built a few Saturn 1Bs over the years, the scalloped shroud has always been a difficult construction step. In the old Estes 1/70 scale version, it was cut out of cardstock. The original 1/100 Centuri version also had a plastic tank shroud.




The heavy cardstock centering ring and nozzle plate set.

My kits were pre-production, the alignment jig wasn't in the kit while some adjustments were being made before the final kit was produced.



There are a plenty of tubes which means a lot of seam filling!
On the left is the bag of eight Redstone booster tubes.

Build time:
Open box, check parts: 30 minutes
Total build time so far: 30 minutes

3 comments:

  1. Chris, if those are Redstone tanks for the first stage, are they actually the same diameter (0.70") as that Boyce Aerospace 1:100 Redstone? I think it needed some odd tube just a litte smaller in diameter than the BT-20 (fits 18mm motors).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tom,
      I didn't check the tube diameters. They seemed to be a little smaller around than an Estes BT-20. I've never built a Boyce kit so I couldn't tell you about their tube sizes. You would think that Boyce and Estes would use the same diameter tube if both models were actually 1/100 scale.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, dumb me I forgot to mention- they are designated BT-19 and available form erockets. They are a perfect slip fit into a BT-20 and exactly .700 OD (1:100 of 70 inches). Kinda handy for a low-strength coupler or as a reinforcement tube. I think they may make one that slips over the BT-20 as well.

      Delete