Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Cruise Update Part 2 Arriving in Jamaica

So after arriving in Jamaica I went through immigration. Typical immigration except my work order said I was arriving in Aruba, not Jamaica.

The girl behind the counter said: “I’ll be right back”, she then walked away with my paperwork and passport.

She returned five minutes later and motioned me to follow her through a door.
It was a darkened room, we were joined by a big man. It was like a scene from a bad movie, my first thought: “Uh oh, cavity search!”
He started an interrogation! “Why are you here in Jamaica when the ship assignment papers said the destination is Aruba?”
His delivery wasn’t pleasant. “Which port are you going to meet your ship?” I didn’t know.
“How could you not know what port you are going to?”

I tried to explain the situation, that the ship had to change ports to help with an emergency medical evacuation of a guest.
Questions continued for another ten minutes. After my suggestion, he finally called the port agent.

When he got all the information from the ship, his demeanor changed. He was suddenly my best friend. He was joking now and patting me on the back.

After a 1 ½ hour drive to Ocho Rios, I finally got on board the Statendam.

No comments:

Post a Comment