Monday, October 4, 2010

New Glue-All Formula


Elmer's has changed the formulation of my favorite rocket building glue - Elmer's Glue All. The bottle claims: "New Stronger Formula!"

The old bottle (left) is #0372 and made in China. The new formula (right) is #1322 and made in the U.S.A.

I didn't notice the label change when I bought two new bottles during the recent back to school sales.

Postings on The Rocketry Forum (TRF) have said it is thinned down. I thought I'd try them side by side. This is not a scientific test, I was simply curious.


I made two drops on my work area, side by side. I made them as close to the same size as I could.

Immediately the new formula started to spread out.



Halfway through drying, the new formula was shrinking much more than the original formula.

The new formula had spread more and was drying quicker around the edges.




When totally dry, the new formula had shrunk deeper in the center.
The old formula had a slightly milkier tone, the new stuff was clear.
I pressed on the two dried drops with a fingernail. The new formula was a little softer and was easier to indent the surface.

Both dried drops were peeled off the cardboard. The old formula was harder to remove and pulled up more cardboard when lifted. The new formula has less cardboard fibers on it when pulled off.

I then tried to fold the drops in half between my fingers. The new formula was easier to bend.

Like I wrote earlier, this is not a real world rocketry test. I have no doubts this new glue would be fine for general building. I was concerned about shrinkage and runs when making fillets. This thinner glue might also pucker in the body tubes over engine mount centering rings. As a post on YORF called it - A Coke bottle ring.

Depending on results, I may have to search out the #0372 glue in a large jug and refill my smaller bottles.

EDIT: I have emailed the Elmer's company and asked why they changed the formulation. I also asked if the old formula is still available under a different name. I hope so!
I'm awaiting an answer and will post the reply.

No comments:

Post a Comment