Monday, October 25, 2010

Mercury Redstone - A Cruise Diversion


I’d printed this one off about a year and a half ago thinking I’d put it together on a cruise.
This turned out to be the cruise.
Carded rockets are great for travel, I carry a few printouts in a folder.

This free Mercury Redstone printout is available from the Delta Seven Studios at:
http://www.delta7studios.com/dl.htm

While not as detailed as a Dr. Zooch Redstone kit, it would be easy enough to convert it to fly with “T” engines. It’s an easy first-time carded build.

For being a simple rolled shroud, the capsule is stronger than you would think. The tower goes together easy enough, it’s a simple tri-fold. The rolled body tube is right around 3/4" diameter but this model is better suited for a 13mm engine mount.


The directions show the two side fins simply being simply glued. I added an interior of cereal box cardboard to give it a tapered “scale” profile. The lower root edges hook under the body tube. I’ll have to wait until I get home to make the engine mount. After the mount is glued in place, the fins will follow.

While easily converted for flight, you’ll have to add some nose weight. Give it a swing test before flying.

Cruise Update:
Last night’s shows went great! The new travel guitar worked well and I’ve gotten some good comments about the show.
Now, while walking around the ship, my anonymity is shot! Everybody knows who I am. I spend quite a bit of time answering questions about the instruments I played in the show last night.

2 comments:

  1. If you print the free Mercury Redstone printout at 76% (just using the art, not white space) the printout will wrap around a BT-5 tube.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Scott -
      That'll make a Mercury Redstone the same size as the BT-5 based FlisKits model. (Only a LOT cheaper) Good work!

      Delete