Friday, October 8, 2010

New Odd'l Rockets Prototype - PIGASUS!


Odd'l Rockets is a small rocket company "specializing" in rockets that are a little different.

The one thing I don't have is a Goony!
This newest rocket is based on a model I designed back in the 1970s - PIGASUS!

My first version of the Pigasus was closer to the Estes GoonyBirds in size and engine power. The old GoonyBirds were BT-60 based and the largest recommended engine was the A10-3t. I had built and flown a few Goonys back then.

This time around I wanted to do it right, maybe even make a kit out of it.
This new version is the size of the Semroc Groonies. It's bigger and could fly on standard 18mm engines.
Pigasus has quite a history:
  • Pigasus was the Yippies Presidential candidate in 1968. Nixon won.
  • Pigasus was John Steinbeck's personal stamp.
  • James Randi gives out the Pigasus award to the best paranormal frauds.
  • Dorothy Gale encountered a phychic, poetic Pigasus in the book "The Wishing Horse of OZ"
While some claim the Pigasus should only fly under bat wings, I went with the more traditional feathered wings.

On this build, you won't see the finished design until I finish it!
The next time somebody says: "Yeah, when Pig's fly!" - stick a B6-4 in this one and prove them wrong.
Get ready, go find that can of pink spray paint.

1 comment:

  1. Great minds think alike, it seems. I built a standard (BT-60) Pigasus goony a couple years ago. Pictures here.

    ReplyDelete