Monday, October 11, 2010

Flying Frisbee - FLOP!


I'd bought a $.99 Frisbee at WalMart for my daughters to play with.
They weren't that interested so I thought I'd put it to better use.





The central 18mm engine mount tube has centering rings on either side of the Frisbee top. The plastic surface was roughed up and a epoxy fillet ring went on both sides. The central engine was a C6-0.

On the outside rim engine was a 13mm A10-P plugged engine. It was mounted at an angle to provide spin.


I'd had some good experience with the Art Applewhite Monocopters so I knew to use a very short rod. Monocopters spin quickly at launch. A short rod is used so there isn't any chance of rod whip.
I didn't have a short rod with me so it was set up high on a 1/8" x 36" rod.

In the middle picture, you can see how simple the engine mounts are. Quest Q2G2 igniters were used, the best igniters made for clustering.
This launch picture makes it look better than the flight actually was. Roger Smith took the picture.

There was some launch rod whip. The flight wasn't vertical and didn't get enough altitude to waste two engines on. I should have had a very short launch rod to get a vertical boost.
The outside A10 engine did give it quite a bit of spin and I think there could be other possibilities for this odd ball rocket.
Oh well, live and learn!

I'm certainly not the first, or last person to put an engine under a Frisbee. George Gassaway has had better success with his versions. I remember seeing a video on YouTube of a saucer being launched from a fast, spinning turntable.

No comments:

Post a Comment