Sunday, October 31, 2010

Mercury Redstone Part 2 Engine Mount

I'm finally home from the cruise with normal, fast computer downloads!

While on the ship, I built two of the small, carded Mercury Redstone models. One non-flying version was a gift to the Cruise Director. I kept the other for flight conversion.

On the model I brought home, the fins weren't glued on yet. I slid an 18mm engine casing in the rear of the main rolled tube and it's a near perfect fit! I decided to make an engine mount for 13mm engines.


1/4" wide segments of the casing were cut to make centering rings for the 13mm mount.

Without power tools, the easiest way to cut them is with a hobby miter box.
TIP: Don't try to saw through the entire casing. Saw a bit, rotate the casing and saw some more. You'll get through the casing much faster this way.



After you've cut off the first 1/4" wide ring, sand the casing end flat. It's easier to sand one side of the ring square before cutting the ring off the casing, there's more to hold onto. Cut off the 1/4" piece and then sand square the other side.






Here's the rings, before and after sanding the cut sides square.

No comments:

Post a Comment