Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Model Profile OOP Centuri BANDITO

Here's a classic I never got around to building the first time around:

The Centuri BANDITO

Kit #KA-7 was available from 1972 through 1981. The model's main design feature were the long, card stock wedge shaped fins.

The fin pattern is HERE from New Century Rocketry website. Thanks to Chris Gonnerman for a great website and permission to use this link!

On my version, the Mylar retention ring and engine hook were left off. Instead I friction fit the engine. If you look close at the picture on the right, you can see the fin connecting tab at the root edge. The Mylar retention ring was glued at the tab location.

On the Centuri instructions (found on JimZs website HERE) the silver and black decor was called the "Challenging" paint scheme. I probably would have liked the Red, White, Black with chrome trim catalog colors better, See HERE. I added some aluminum Monokote trim bands to dress up an otherwise boring paint job.

I finally got around to flying it this past weekend at the Orlando R.O.C.K. monthly launch. It seemed appropriate to use a 35 year old Centuri A8-5. The engine worked like a charm.

There was a slow spin during boost. All was good at recovery but it landed on the gravel road bending up a fin. I can fix it and it'll fly again! These fins were cut from 110 lb. cardstock. Next time I'll laminate two cardstock sheets together for a stronger fin.

I've always wanted to build an upscale of this and call it the Grandito Bandito - maybe one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment