Sunday, October 10, 2010

Estes Customizer Mini Engine Set


My youngest daughter gave me this set for my last birthday.

The box is a little deceiving. It says in big letters "12 ROCKET." The smaller print tells the buyer "Potential Design Combinations."
I didn't think I needed another launcher at the time, but I did like how the pad was designed - Simple dowel legs and a low center of gravity.




The enclosed two piece launch rod was 1/8" X 24". I switched it out for a longer 36" rod. This is the same Lunar Launcher that came with the very inexpensive $10.00 Moon Mutt starter set and the old Screaming Eagle set in the 1989

Right now it's my schoolyard rig, it takes up much less space than my 20 year old yellow Port-A-Pad did.

The 1989 Estes Catalog recommends launching rockets under 16" long on this dowel legged launcher.

I used my old controller until it was beyond repair. My new controller came with this set. It's the new design where you PRESS down the safety key to make the continuity light come on. It takes a little getting used to, the safety "key" is pressed in and held while the launch button is pressed.

Pictured is the one, single rocket made from the set. It looks a little like a Nike Tomahawk with skulls on the fins. There was plenty more stick-on decals, but I didn't think the rocket warranted the flame, checkerboard or dragon decor.

The body tubes are too thin, but the plastic parts look to be sturdy enough. The adapters and nose cone shoulders would need a wrap of tape for a better fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment