Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Semroc Booster 16 in the Centurion

The old Semroc Centurion was refinished recently.
I wanted to use the Semroc Booster 16 I built and reviewed three years ago HERE

While I now cover the open back areas of rockets so paint won't get inside, the Centurion still had paint all over the engine mount from the first time it was finished.
The Semroc Booster 16 wouldn't slide in with all the paint around the body tube lip.



Some 220 grit sandpaper was wrapped around a dowel.
The inside edge was carefully sanded to remove the lip of paint around the edge. I was trying to get a sliding friction fit of the black coupler on the Booster 16 unit.
I checked the fit while sanding until it slid in easily but would still stay in even if shook.


Here's the Booster 16 first stage unit in place with a A10-0t engine installed.
In the Centurion engine mount is a B6-4 for the upper stage.

On the RocketReviews.com comments I read where the Booster 16 unit will stage at 25 feet with an A10-0t engine installed - so there's not much difference in the altitude.
Still, it'll be fun for a change and the Centurion looks great with the large booster nozzle installed.

I wanted to use the re-released A10-0t engines in something other than a small saucer. Maybe I should build the Astron Beta?

No comments:

Post a Comment