Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Super Alpha Open Rocket Results

I loaded the BT-60 based Super Alpha into the Open Rocket software to check it's stability and predicted altitudes.

I was concerned if nose weight might be needed with a 24mm D12-5 engine installed. The Super Alpha was designed for 18mm engines.

According to the software simulations,
The 18mm C6-5 altitude is 696 feet. (Super Alpha with an 18mm mount installed)
The 24mm C11-5 altitude is 622 feet, less than the 18mm C engine!
The 24mm D12-5 altitude is 1076 feet.
The 24mm D12-7 altitude is also 1076 feet.

I didn't think the the C6-5 engine to get a higher altitude than the C11-5.
I would expect the D12-7 would get a better altitude over the D12-5 - it should coast longer and go higher.

This probably isn't accurate, I'm new to inputting information into a simulator. I may have left something out.
Still, interesting results.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Ed,
    I've sold out!
    I'm trying the ads to see if this blog can (at least) pay for itself when the "free" picture storage runs out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I'd better get paid!
      Or, my blog looks very cheap now.

      It's not much, but it'll pay for the picture storage fees.

      Delete