Thursday, November 8, 2012

AVI Nike Tomahawk Build Part 20 Transition Edges

I haven't given up on the Nike Tomahawk!
I'm just taking a little break. I want to get back on this one again when I return on December 10 after four weeks on the cruise ships.

Again, I ran into paint problems.
While applying white undercoats to the plastic fin cans, I had more problems with the paint crinkling.
Careful sanding followed, I didn't want to sand off the raised screw heads on the Tomahawk fin can.
Another coat of white - more wrinkling of the paint!
Time to set it aside for a while.


I was never really happy with the way the adapter turned out.
It doesn't show very well in this picture, but the width of the center strip is uneven around the adapter.

I had to figure out how to sharpen the edges and make the flatt center "ring" the same width all the way around.



I took the easy way out, the same way I fixed the Quest Nike Smoke nose cone.

A thin strip of scrap vinyl was cut and set down around the flat center ring.


When rubbed down, the ring gives the illusion of a sharper, squared edge.

Any uneven width of the center section is covered by the edge of the vinyl strip.

2 comments:

  1. Have you figured out how to avoid the crinkled paint problem using Rustoleum 2X. I am hesitant to use this paint again until I can figure out how to avoid the crinkled paint syndrome - it seems to happen at the worst possible time. Was the paint cold? One theory is the paint is too cold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eero,
    The paint wasn't too cold.
    I've had some bad cans of Rusto 2X Gloss White. The other colors seem to be okay.
    A few years back, all formulations seem to have been changed in every brand.
    You just have to sand it off and shake and spray again.

    ReplyDelete