Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Braided Kevlar - CHEAP!

I'd seen a post about the Kevlar Store on TRF.
http://kevlarstore.webs.com/
I finally ordered some 100 lb. and samples of the 135 lb. Kevlar.!

Here's how the 100 lb. spool arrives.
This is BRAIDED Kevlar, not the stiffer 3 strand variety.

The price is much lower than ordering it from other rocketry vendors.
At $11.00 for 600 feet -
The 100 lb. braided Kevlar is less than two cents a foot!
Shipping was an additional $2.00




This is the top of the 600 foot long 100 lb. Kevlar next to the 135 lb. sample card.

I ordered five times the standard 30 foot sample card.
Wrapped around the card is 150 feet of the 135 lb. Kevlar instead of the standard 30 foot sample.
Here's a closeup of the two weights.

On top is the braided 100 lb. Kevlar. It should be perfect for any rocket using A, B or C engines.
The braided Kevlar is much more flexible than the Kevlar I've ordered from the Thread Exchange.

Below is the 135 lb. Kevlar from the sample card.
It isn't braided, but three strand. This three strand Kevlar is still more flexible than the 135 lb. Kevlar I've received from the Thread Exchange.

I'd recommend the 100 lb, braided flexible Kevlar.
The 135 lb. is three strand and doesn't pack as easily.

2 comments:

  1. Chris,

    Here is an other site that has relatively cheap braided Kevlar line in different strengths.

    http://www.emmakites.com/Wholesale-kite-line_c365

    I don't remember if I got the #100 or #150 line but it has been working great for me on my LPR's. I will order some #380 line soon for my first medium powered rocket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the Kevlar address Billy!
    I'll check the prices, I've got enough Kevlar for years right now tho -

    ReplyDelete