Thursday, November 15, 2012

Dr. Zooch Saturn V Fins Step 9 Part 1

This build will not be in the order shown on the Dr. Zooch instructions!
I am buildiing the small details first.


This was one of the first Zooch kits I made and I didn’t scan the wrap and pattern sheets!

I’ve learned by past experience to scan all fin patterns and wraps before starting construction. If I screw up I can always print off another.

The outside lines of the fin on page 5 of the instructions were extended well beyond the profile for a cutting pattern used later.


Note: These fins are slightly larger than the fin pattern included wiith the kit. I started this build (before I bought a new kit) working from the instructions alone. I knew if the fin drawing on Page 5 was a little larger, I would only have to sand down the root and traling edges to get it to the right size of the template on the wrap sheet. The taper on the leading edge (shown on the three upcoming posts would remain the same regardless

TIP: Instead of cutting out four fins - then sanding the leading edge taper on each one -

Sand one long leading edge taper down the length of the balsa stock. Then cut out the four fins.

This gives you a consistent taper width on all four fins and in the end is quicker and easier.
 
The instructions give you a illustration showing the thickness for the leading edge fin taper. That taper line was extended out to get an idea of the width of the taper from the leading edge. The taper width is just under 1/8" wide.


2 comments:

  1. Speaking of body wraps, I seem to recall you once mentioned that you found some embossed scrapbooking paper at a craft store that looked like it could be used for body wrap. I'd like to find some of that to make a custom Apollo-style rocket, do you remember where you found it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lonnie,
    The only "paper" I've used is the blackboard covering made by Contact paper. It's available at Michaels Crafts. It's a flat black roll and self adhesive. No embossing on this paper though.
    I haven't seen any lined embossed paper lately. Even Dr. Zooch has had trouble finding the embossed paper he supplies in his kits.

    ReplyDelete