Thursday, November 29, 2012

Dr. Zooch Saturn V Detail Pieces S-11 Lox Tunnels Step 11 Part 3

While the instructions don't tell you to do it, I sand the dowels (or toothpicks shown here) flat for a better fit against the wraps and body tube surface. 
This shows the toothpick before and after the sanding.

The top toothpick in the upper picture is a before, the lower toothpick is after sanding down the back.


You’ll need four, ½" long pieces cut. The front end of these are semi-rounded.

Don’t cut the dowel to size yet! It’s easier to round the front end while the dowels are long, you just have more to hold on to.

Again, I used the four sided file to round the front ends.

Form a half circle on the end. At first it’s easier to establish the round shape with the flat side facing you.

 

Cut the motor to ½" long after forming the front end round.

It’s easier to form the front end round when the stick is longer, it gives you more to hold onto.


2 comments:

  1. Will you be adding the cable tray (or whatever that is) onto the 3rd stage? The instructions show it on the drawing, but don't include doing this in any step that I saw. When I built mine I saw this as missing when I finished and added it with scrap balsa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mushtang,
    Yes, I'll be adding that to the third stage. I did add a cardstock piece on the my first build of the Zooch Saturn V. That tunnel is drawn on the instructions but there is no mention in the copy or sizes given. I'll make an approximation on the size

    ReplyDelete