Saturday, November 3, 2012

Custom Solar Explorer Build Part 17 Fin And Lug Gluing

The instructions have you glue the two short lugs centered between two fins.
They are glued 1/4" from the top and bottom of the BT-55 section.

I don't see any reason for this, I'd rather have them down a fin root edge.
This probably should have been a single longer lug instead of two smaller lugs.

UPDATE: I figured out later, these are two small lugs that will be outside of the self adhesive decal edges. One horizontal decal stripe goes between the two small lugs. With the lugs set even with the leading and trailing edges of the fins, the stick on decal stripe will fit between them.




I could use one thick glue line but the lugs will go against the root edge of the fin.

Two lines of glue will get a better contact on the body tube and side surface of the fin.


Here's how I ended up gluing the lugs.

Both are out of the way and even with the top and bottom edges of the fin.

As I mentioned before, I would have preferred a single, longer launch lug.

No comments:

Post a Comment