Sunday, January 19, 2014

Harmonica In Space!

I play a small, Hohner Little Lady Harmonica in my musical act.
Hohner sells them as the "Smallest playable harmonica in the world (or out of it)."

What I thought would be a simple added instrumental is now one of the more popular features in the show. I play a quick rendition of 12th Street Rag.
These small things blow out of tune after a while and I ordered three more.
As a kid I could buy the small German made harmonica for $1.00 each. Now they retail for over $12.00.
I was surprised by all the fancy new packaging, probably why the harmonica sells for $12.00 now.
The hang tag box was beautifully printed with some "Space Trivia" on the back.

This picture is from the back of the hang tag box:

In the Harmonica History section of the enclosed catalog:
"The first instrument to be played in outer space was the Hohner Little Lady Harmonica.
Astronaut Wally Schirra smuggled one aboard his Gemini VI spacecraft and played "Jingle Bells" to the delight of the entire world who saw the virtuoso performance on TV via satellite. (1965)
The harmonica today resides in the Smithsonian Institution."
Wally Schirra's YouTube recording is HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment