Monday, January 13, 2014

Best Spray Paint Out There? NOPE! Part 2

A few weeks back I was talking up what I thought could be a great spray paint.
http://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/2013/12/the-best-spray-paint-out-there.html

This first single gray can of paint went on smooth, covered well and dried quickly.
It sprayed on like the expensive Testors Model Master paint.

I jumped in and ordered 12 cans, six gloss white and six gloss black.

I started spraying a SR-71 gloss black.
The spray was even and had great coverage.
The gloss black didn't dry as quick as the Gray FixAll paint did.

A day later and it was still sticky to the touch.
FIVE DAYS LATER AND IT IS STILL STICKY!
Granted, first coats tend to take longer to dry anyway. But this drying time is way too long.

The FixAll gray paint drying time was normal, like I was used to.
The FixAll black and white drying times are too long!

Maybe I got a bad batch, or a different formulation from that first gray can I tried.
I'm probably going to send the paint back for a refund. I'll go back to the Rusto 2X.

2 comments:

  1. Had that happen with Rustoleum one time ....stayed sticky forever ...will never buy it again.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Rustoleum with the plaid band at the top (old style Rusto) take forever to dry.
    The newer Rustoleum 2X dries pretty fast and covers quickly with less coats.
    On the down side of the Rusto 2X - The nozzles can clog by the time the can is half used. I've also had a bad run of Gloss white where it shot out flat with the texture of cottage cheese!
    The Rustoleum 2X (from Home Depot) is presently the stuff I use most often.

    ReplyDelete