Sunday, January 19, 2014

Estes SR-71 Blackbird Build Part 20, Tips from the Forums

There have been a few suggestions about clustering this one.
My concern is how far the outside engines are from the center line. If you don't get all three engines to light at the same time it might pinwheel. I've seen that happen once.

Here's some TRF quotes:
Verna: 
"Whatever you do lengthen the shock cord by 50%."
Daddyisabar: 
"Reinforce the top edge of the shroud with super thin CA or finishing epoxy."
"Also reinforce your top motor hook attachment point with a little CA."


And from YORF:
dlazarus6660: 
"When it comes time for the decals, the instructions show the stars and bars on the left top wing, right bottom wing and right upper fuse upside down. That's wrong! The stars should always point forward and up."
"I can't tell, did you recess the engine cones? If you do, be sure to use CA on the exposed tube."
"Are you going to 'fill' between the BT and the shrouds by the motor mount? I keep looking at mine and I don't know if I want to go through the hassle."

I won't be filling in the open areas at the back end of the shroud. I probably should have but after all the forming, gluing and filling hassles I just wanted to get it finished!
All great suggestions and I'll be adding these upgrades.


And a tip from me:
When sliding the nose cone in and out of the model, 
Always make sure the canopy top side is up!
If you were to set in in upside-down it can deform the upper and lower shroud shapes.
Remember, the top and bottom shrouds are shaped differently and must match the top and bottom curves of the nose cone.

No comments:

Post a Comment