Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Estes SR-71 Blackbird Build Part 23, Engine Cone and Clear Coat Problems

The inlet cones had a loose fit in the tubes.
I added a wrap or two of tape but still left some plastic exposed on either side so the plastic cement would grab.

The instructions say to glue them in with 1 1/4" exposed.
I did a dry fit first and it seemed like the nose cone stuck out too far where it didn't even look like a ramjet cone.
I ended up gluing them so 1 1/8" of cone was exposed.

Oh boy! Here we go!

Sometimes I'll apply a light coat of the Future acrylic with a Q-tip, just enough to seal the decal edges. After a clear coat you shouldn't see the Future coat. NOT SO THIS TIME!
I sprayed some Krylon Flat Clear over the model.
The decals had a raised surface, almost like they were bubbled up!

After the flat clear coat was totally dry I very lightly sanded over the raised edges with some recycled 400 grit. "Recycled sandpaper" meaning an old piece with most of the grit smoothed off from a few wire brush cleanings.
I didn't want to sand through the decal ink, just knock down the surface so the edges weren't so obvious.
With any luck, the next clear coat will fill in any dips in the edge and not be so noticeable.

What caused this? Who knows.
I used the slow drying FixAll black gloss to start. After the top was sanded down, Rustoleum 2X gloss black was sprayed.
Decals followed then a light coat of Future.
The problems occurred when the Krylon dull coat was applied.
It's salvageable, but not my best work!

2 comments:

  1. "What caused this?"
    You were using Kryon, that's why. Try Valspar next time. A much, much better paint for rockets and everything else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jack,
    I'm pretty familiar with Krylon paint problems, I quit using Krylon color spray paint a few years back.
    I do use Krylon acrylic clear gloss over my home print decals for the clear coat. I never had a problem with the acrylic clear until I used the flat clear.
    Maybe Krylon changed their formulations - AGAIN!
    Everybody has their favorite finish sprays, where you might have had good luck with the Valdspar (clear?) I didn't get great results with Valspar color sprays.
    I've tried them all and presently have gone back to the Rustoleum 2X. Even that paint isn't perfect but the best for me. I'm used to it now.

    ReplyDelete