Monday, January 27, 2014

Estes Hornet Build Part 5, Some Minor Snags

The Hornet was originally a Centuri design. I wanted to use the Centuri logo in place of the Estes name.

I checked online but couldn't find a sharp version of the logo.
I ended up doing a font search and re-drawing it. This one did take some changes to the fort I found. The "T" and "I" took the most time.

Enlarge the picture and compare the two larger Centuri logos. The upper one is what was found online. Below it is the redraw.

The Estes logo is about 1.28" wide. I sized the Centuri logo to that width.
The logo isn't 100% accurate, but it's close and much sharper than anything I could find.


Here I've sanded the primer and tube where the lug will glue for better adhesion.

The fin root edge areas were also sanded with 220 grit.
There was a very slight dent in the tube above the launch lug. This is more like a manufacturing blemish and not a crimp that would require replacement of the tube.

This was filled with CWF.
The dent was so shallow I wanted to be sure the CWF stayed on the tube.
After sanding to surface a thin coat of CA was wiped on.

3 comments:

  1. I'm doing this build.

    If we fans e-mail you can you send us the Centuri image PDF? Or do you have a link that points to it?

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Scott,
      I just looked and did some searches with no luck! I've lost a few files somewhere along the way. Sorry!

      Delete
    2. Hi Scott,
      There is this decal page:
      http://oldrocketplans.com/decals.htm
      Scroll down to the Centuri logos.

      Delete