Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Estes SR-71 Blackbird Build Part 6, Inner Wing Gluing

I don't like cutting up instructions to use the fin marking guides. Sometimes when instructions are cut up you remove upcoming steps from the other side of the sheet!
I traced the kit fin marking guide onto copy paper but it didn't line up well around the BT-50 tube.
I ended up cutting out the marking guide from the instructions. It didn't match up either!
I ended up making my own.

I found a crease in the tube and had to cut another form my stash of white BT-50s.

TIP: If you use a aluminum angle to mark your tubes, hold the tube and angle at the center for marking.

The tube has less chance of slipping in the angle and your line will be true.
If you are just marking a few inches on the end of the tube, this isn't necessary. This tube needs lines all the way down the tube.





Sight down the body tube when setting down this long inner fin piece.
It's easy to set it down crooked, use the "double glue" method so it won't slip around.







Set the nose cone in place to be sure the front end fits the shoulder base of the nose cone.









With the front of the inner fins against the nose cone base the trailing edge doesn't match up with the end of the body tube.
I didn't use the wing jig, they weren't needed - yet.
I was more concerned about the front end matching up with the nose cone base.

No comments:

Post a Comment