Thursday, January 23, 2014

Estes SR-71 Blackbird Finished!














This build was tough!
How Estes could label it as a Level 2 is beyond me.
The body shrouds would be impossible for a younger builder. Fitting the shroud front around the complex curves on the nose cone shoulder took too much effort. In the end, the match still isn't great.
The light embossing on the shrouds almost disappear by the time you are finished.
On a craftsman kit water slide decals should be supplied, not peel and stick!
How about this -
Kits with balsa get water slide decals. Plastic RTF or ARTF models get stickers.
Is this considered a bad review? Yeah, probably.

This was one of those builds where you think: "Put a fork in it, it's done!"
You could mess with it more, but after a while you want to move on.

Krylon (flat clear coat) let me down again - Never Again!
It's now glossier than I would like but I can't take the chance of any more finish problems.
The model got a final shot of Americana clear shot from a distance. Not a heavy finish coat for a satin finish.

I still have to glue in the engine mount and install the parachute.
In the end it is a sharp looking bird, tho -

4 comments:

  1. These are fun, reminded me of the one my best friend and I built in the late 80's - Spent so much time balancing and getting it to actually glide, we'd throw it across the yard to each other. First launch, went up, rolled to the side and engine kicked out instead of chute, so it flew and was gone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeremy,
      You got this one glide?
      The balance weight you added may have contributed to the side roll!

      Delete
  2. I never liked these for some reason. Now I feel validated. I always snickered at them at the store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous,
    Yeah, it's certainly sport scale.
    When they fly well they are impressive. I've seen a few go horizontal.
    As I wrote, this model was a disappointment for many reasons. The thick card stock pieces were too hard to form, and I'm a patient guy!

    ReplyDelete